Following a review of the competition structure and consultation with regions and clubs, Scottish Squash implemented a new competition structure for the 2017/18 season.
The aims behind the competition restructure are:
- To provide a competition structure for players at all levels of the player pathway;
- To provide national rankings for all competitive players;
- To support clubs and regions to develop effective opportunities for competition.
The ‘Regulations for Sanctioned Events’ contains further information about running or hosting events for clubs, regions and tournament organisers. This document is available here. The ‘Roles and Responsibilities for Sanctioned Events’ is also useful to make clear what support Scottish Squash will provide and what is expected from clubs/regions when running/hosting a sanctioned event, the document can be found here.
LEVELS OF COMPETITION
There are four levels of competition:
These are local tournaments that mainly attract players from within the region. They are 1 day events that aim to have players playing as many games as possible in a relatively relaxed atmosphere and flexible structure. Clubs can apply for sanctioning to run a Junior Bronze event or Adult Bronze event.
To apply for Bronze sanctioning please complete the application form here. Please note that clubs should complete a Bronze sanctioning application form 4 weeks prior to the event.
These are open tournaments that are run in a graded format for all levels. Tournament organisers can choose whether to run a Junior Silver event, Adult Silver event or a combined Junior/Senior Silver event. Silver events also have the potential to register their event as a Professional Squash Association (PSA) Closed Satellite event to attract a higher and stronger entry.
To apply for Silver sanctioning please complete the application form here. Please note that clubs should complete a Silver sanctioning application form 8 weeks prior to the event.
Gold events are run in age groups at junior level and men’s and women’s open at senior level. These tournaments will typically attract the higher ranked players throughout the country and will link to selection for representative events.
Gold events available for applications for 2018/19 season are:
- Junior Gold 1 – Saturday 22nd – Sunday 23rd September 2018.
- Junior Gold 2 – Saturday 17th – Sunday 18th November 2018
- Senior Gold 2 – Saturday 20th – Sunday 21st October 2018
- Senior Gold 3 – Saturday 1st – Sunday 2nd December 2018
*The Senior Gold 1 will run from Friday 24th – Sunday 26th August 2018 at Edinburgh Sports Club. This competition will be combined with the Scottish National Championships 2018 which was originally postponed.
There will be 5 regional Masters events plus the Scottish Masters National Championships that link to the Masters circuit and Masters ranking points. The region that are awarded the bid to host the Scottish Masters National Championships will not host a Masters regional competition. The Masters competitions sit separate from the Bronze, Silver and Gold competition structure which is specifically aimed at junior and senior level. All players aged over 35 years are encouraged and welcome to compete in the Masters competitions.
The National Masters Selection Procedures & Criteria to determine the Masters Teams that represent Scotland at the Masters Home Internationals is currently under review and details of the updated structure will be released prior to the start of the 2018/19 season.
These events cover National and European events and will attract the highest ranked players and occasionally players from throughout Europe.
Clubs/Venues can bid to host Platinum events. The essential requirements from Clubs to host each Platinum event can be found in the ‘Regulations for Sanctioned Events’ document or by clicking here. Scottish Squash may award Platinum events on a 1 year, 2 years or 3 years contract. Platinum events available for bids for the 2018/19 season are:
- Scottish National Championships – Friday 1st – Sunday 3rd March 2019
- Scottish Masters National Championships – Friday 15th – Sunday 17th March 2019
- Scottish Junior National Championships – Friday 1st – Sunday 3rd February 2019
- Scottish Masters Home Internationals – May 2019 (Weekend TBC)
- Scottish Junior Inter-Regional Team Championships – Friday 29th – Sunday 31st March 2019
- Scottish Senior Inter-Regional Team Championships – Friday 23rd -Sunday 25th August 2019
- Scottish Racketball National Championships – Saturday 13th – Sunday 14th April 2019
Please note that Scottish Squash are running the bidding process for sanctioned events in series this season rather than accepting bids for all levels of competition. On completion of the Platinum events been awarded there will then be an opportunity to apply for the next level of competition.
Anyone wishing to discuss the competition structure further should contact email@example.com