Following a review of the competition structure and consultation with regions and clubs, Scottish Squash implemented a new competition structure for the 2017/18 season.
The aims behind the competition restructure are:
- To provide a competition structure for players at all levels of the player pathway;
- To provide national rankings for all competitive players;
- To support clubs and regions to develop effective opportunities for competition.
The Regulations for Sanctioned Competitions contains further information about running or hosting competitions for clubs, regions and tournament organisers. The Roles and Responsibilities for Sanctioned Competitions is also useful to make clear what support Scottish Squash will provide and what is expected from clubs/regions when running/hosting a sanctioned competition.
LEVELS OF COMPETITION
There are four levels of competition:
These are local tournaments that mainly attract players from within the region. They are 1 day competitions that aim to have players playing as many games as possible in a relatively relaxed atmosphere and flexible structure. Clubs can apply for sanctioning to run a Junior Bronze competition or Adult Bronze competition.
To apply for Bronze sanctioning please complete the application form. Clubs should complete a Bronze sanctioning application form 4 weeks prior to the competition.
These are open tournaments that are run in a graded format for all levels. Tournament organisers can choose whether to run a Junior Silver competition, Adult Silver competition or a combined Junior/Senior Silver competition. Silver competitions also have the potential to register their event as a Professional Squash Association (PSA) Satellite competition to attract a higher and stronger entry.
To apply for Silver sanctioning please complete the application form. Clubs should complete a Silver sanctioning application form 8 weeks prior to the competition.
Gold competitions are run in age groups at junior level and men’s and women’s open at senior level. These tournaments will typically attract the higher ranked players throughout the country and will link to selection for team representative competitions.
Gold competitions available for applications for 2019/20 season are to be confirmed.
There will be 5 regional Masters competitions plus the Scottish Masters National Championships that link to the Masters circuit and Masters ranking points. The region that are awarded the bid to host the Scottish Masters National Championships will not host a Masters regional competition. The Masters competitions sit separate from the Bronze, Silver and Gold competition structure which is specifically aimed at junior and senior level. All players aged over 35 years are encouraged and welcome to compete in the Masters competitions.
The National Masters Selection Procedures & Criteria to determine the Masters Teams that represent Scotland at the Masters Home Internationals is reviewed ahead each season.
These competitions cover National and European competitions and will attract the highest ranked players and occasionally players from throughout Europe.
Clubs/Venues can bid to host Platinum competitions. The essential requirements from Clubs to host each Platinum competition can be found in the Regulations for Sanctioned Competitions document. Scottish Squash may award Platinum competitions on a 1 year, 2 years or 3 years contract. Platinum competitions available for bids for the 2019/20 season are:
- Scottish Under 23 National Championships – Friday 17th – Sunday 19th January 2020
- Scottish National Championships – Friday 6th– Sunday 8th March 2020
- Scottish Junior National Championships – Friday 31st – Sunday 2nd February 2020
- Scottish Junior Inter-Regional Team Championships – Friday 17th – Sunday 19th April 2020
- Scottish Racketball National Championships – Saturday 25th – Sunday 26th April 2020
Applications are currently being accepted from clubs to host any of the above Platinum competitions in season 2019/20. To apply complete the Platinum Competition – Host Club/Facility Application Form.
Closing date for applications is Friday 31st May 2019.
Platinum competitions still under contract in 2019/20 are listed below. Full details regarding their award can be found in the 2018/19 season release.
- Scottish Masters National Championships – Friday 20th – Sunday 22nd March 2020: Inverness Tennis & Squash Club (1 year remaining)
- Scottish Masters Home Internationals – May 2020 (Weekend TBC): Edinburgh Sports Club (1 year remaining)
- Scottish Senior Inter-Regional Team Championships – Friday 21st -Sunday 23rd August 2020: Aberdeen Squash & Racketball Club (1 year remaining)
Anyone wishing to discuss the competition structure further should contact firstname.lastname@example.org