Following a review of the competition structure and consultation with regions and clubs, Scottish Squash & Racketball (SSRL) are implementing a new competition structure for the 2017/18 season. The new competition structure will take effect from the new season and links to both junior and senior competitions. The Masters circuit will remain unchanged and dates for these events will be released shortly.
Sanction event guideline information for clubs, regions and tournament organisers is available here.
The aims behind the competition restructure are:
- To provide a competition structure for players at all levels of the player pathway;
- To provide national rankings for all competitive players;
- To support clubs and regions to develop effective opportunities for competition.
LEVELS OF COMPETITION
There will now be four levels of competition:
These are local tournaments that mainly attract players from within the region. They are 1 day events that aim to have players playing as many games as possible in a relatively relaxed atmosphere and flexible structure. The Bronze application form can be found here.
These are open tournaments that are run in a graded format for all levels. Tournament organisers can choose whether to run a Junior Silver event or combined Junior/Senior Silver event. The Silver application form can be found here.
There are 6 Gold events in one season, 3 junior and 3 senior. Gold events are run in age groups at junior level and men’s and women’s open at senior level. These tournaments will typically attract the higher ranked players throughout the country and will link to selection for representative events. The Gold application form can be found here.
There will be 5 regional Masters events plus the Scottish Masters Nationals that link to the Masters circuit and Masters ranking points. The region that are awarded the bid to host the Scottish Masters Nationals will not host a Masters regional competition. The Masters competitions sit separate from the Bronze, Silver and Gold competition structure which is specifically aimed at junior and senior level. All players aged over 35 years are encouraged and welcome to compete in the Masters competitions.
These events cover National and European events and will attract the highest ranked players and occasionally players from throughout Europe.
Clubs/Venues can bid to host Platinum events for the coming season. The closing date for bid applications is Wednesday 12th July 2017 at 12noon and can be completed here. The essential requirements from Clubs to host each Platinum event can be found in the Sanction Event Guidelines document or by clicking here. In order for SSRL to monitor the implementation of the new competition structure, all Platinum events will be awarded for one year. Platinum events available for the coming season include the following:
- Scottish Junior Nationals – Friday 2nd – Sunday 4th February 2018
- Scottish Senior Nationals – Friday 2nd – Sunday 4th March 2018
- Scottish Masters Nationals – Friday 9th – Sunday 11th March 2018
- Scottish Junior Inter-Regional Team Championships – Friday 20th – Sunday 22nd April 2018
- Scottish Senior Inter-Regional Team Championships* – Friday 25th -Sunday 27th May 2018
- Masters Home Internationals – Friday 18th – Saturday 19th May 2018
- Scottish Racketball Nationals – Saturday 28th – Sunday 29th April 2018
*New event for season 2017/18
- There will be an application window open from 14/06/2017 – 12/07/2017 for Bronze, Silver and Gold events. During this time all applicants must complete the online sanction request form.
- There will be an application window open from 14/06/2017 – 12/07/2017 to allow clubs to bid for the Platinum events to become host venue for season 2017/18.
- Following the close of the window, the calendar will then be confirmed for the 2017/18 season.
- If space is available to add additional events, we will re-open the application process towards the end of July. The calendar will then be confirmed and closed for the remainder of the 2017/18 season.
Bronze and Silver application forms available here.
Gold application forms available here.
Host Club/venue application forms available here.
Anyone wishing to discuss the new competition structure further should contact Allan McKay (Regional Manager (North) & National Lead for Competitions).
email@example.com | 07483 908 890